Wednesday, January 20, 2010

family and identity.

02.25.1984-09.06.2008, 8,991 pieces of hand cut inherited fabric, details below.



Alisha McCurdy a delightful artist in the connective thread exhibit is my feature today. I have to say that having an opportunity to get to meet so many of the artists has been such a privilege and honor over the course of the exhibit.
Alisha is currently pursuing her MFA in sculpture and I cannot wait to see what comes next.



Alisha's art work utilizes in inherited fabrics, furniture, and other miscellaneous to explore identity within family, identity in relationship to family, and perhaps even isolation within a family unit. A subject matter that I find fascinating and which has a wide breath of room to work in for many years to come.



Alisha's work really resonates with me as I have experimented in some very similar ways creating installations with framed groupings and furniture, being interested in using wall paper as a medium to reference domestic space and family, and utilizing fibers and lace as my medium through printmaking.




Alisha states:
The polarities in the artworks are metaphors for my search of identity within my family. The oppositions are presented in such desperate circumstances that reflect the anguished feeling of isolation from family and the past. The artworks are introspective searches for comfort. Through my artworks I have come to a deeper understanding of why creating art is essential. It is in these processes of introspective ritual that I am able to confront myself. The process is ritual. The sacred experience of making is just as meaningful for me as the completed artwork... Materials used in the works have strong personal memory associations, yet they still elicit a response from the viewer. Inherited furniture, stairway spindles, and sewing materials are used because they are commonly understood forms. While the forms have been manipulated so a new identity is creates, notions of their previous lives still exist. The inherited fabrics, sewing patterns and photographs give honor to the provenance to materials, but also gives them voice to speak in a contemporary context.


Alisha also has a lovely series of drawings...


and domestic interior photographs.


Alisha's work can be seen at her website and she will be speaking at the artists talk this Sunday.

No comments: