Wednesday, October 1, 2014

recently in the studio


I have made good progress on this piece and after washing some of the drawing away had an awesome thought....
 

These little ballerinas are original to the linen. I recently renamed the toy series "boy" as it is truly about a son as opposed to a child...and this linen was found for me by my dad... It seemed right to make this work more overtly about gender and the expectations that exist in how we deal with and "train" our children....

So I am going to add more ballerinas.   They will be piled up in the dump truck bed and perhaps piled up near the bulldozer. I feel excited about this addition and think it gives the work a bit more depth.
  
  

But I have to finish the initial stitch first and then I will add them. So stitch, stitch, stitch we go.

No comments: