Monday, May 12, 2008

advice to a younger self....



One of my students recently reminded me of my old love for Duane Michals, one of my earliest photography favorites...
His poetic words are so amazing.....

"While wandering in Arcadia, I chanced to meet myself as a young man. He asked me if I knew the things in life he should pursue. I thought then answered as best I could. If I were young again and you, I would will my mind to always be free for truth flourishes in freedom, and it is the root of integrity. The search for truth flourishes in unfettered serendipity’s surprise. Stay free to risk the possibilities of life. Be free of the fear of failure, since true failure is to be afraid to fail. Remember now never happens twice, and fate is never late. Free yourself from the want of things, and find happiness in nothing, for only nothing lasts. Life is a great question, but no question can be answered till it is asked. That is your task, to free your curiosity and ask of me impossible questions, whose answers can be seen in the twilight of my imagination’s dreams, where I invent the meaning of everything.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Joetta.
I miss you.
Please come back to Western Mass sometime soon.
This is the first blog I have ever looked at.
Today you changed my world.

Hearts.
Lb.