Friday, May 30, 2008

found and connected...

I recently saw 2 pieces of work by artist Robyn Love.
Baby Pictures: a piece with hospital employees baby pictures framed by a a hand knit tiny sweaters:

And Knit Two Together about what brought people to knitting:



This work really reminded me on one of my favorite pieces by one of my all time favorite artists, Annette Messager.....The boarders


The little boarder images suck, I know, but its the best I could do. Boarders are little taxidermy sparrows that Messager found outside her studio building (killed by flying into the big windows) she then hand knit little sweaters for each sparrow. The sparrows are displayed and lovingly laid out in a vitrine. The vitrine has changed with different installations....
So beautiful, sweet, and sad.
Making work with knitting always build so much love into the meaning....

2 comments:

Emily Barletta said...

I am really interested in Messager's work, but find it hard to find images and information. But she currently ahs a piece up in a fibers group show at michael rosenfeld gallery. just in case you want to know.

Joetta M. said...

thanks so much for the heads up Idid not know. I finally sucked it up years ago and bought a book on her just so I could see good pics and get good descriptions. It was well worth the investment