Thursday, July 5, 2012

shifting

just want to say that my studio has been totally quiet since NY. partially I am recovering from my solo show prep. partially because I am dealing with some major "personal life" stuff, and partially because all of that is affecting my work and making me not have any idea how I want to continue my work. emotionally I really need to shift the work and at the moment that just leaves me blank and not making. it sucks.

how do you deal with those moments in life when the last thing you want to do is make your art but you know it is really important in that moment to be doing it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is exactly what I am going through. I am trying to deal with full time jobs and this huge transient moment in my personal life. I know working on my art will be therapeutic in so many ways but it is the last thing I want to do. Sometimes I think you need a step back ...then you come back with full force. =] I wish you the best, Joetta! You can do it.

Joetta M. said...

so very true step back and just be for a moment:)

olisa said...

I hope that the emotions settle for you soon. Fortunately, emotions always do settle, eventually. Let the storm and confusion have their moment. And you will pick up your art and the rest of us will benefit from seeing your beautiful work when you're ready to resume. Be well!

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear you are dealing with 'major stuff' - It is never nice, but I suppose that is how one grows...
Have you tried expressing yourself in a different medium for the time being? Like writing or drawing? That way you still work through the emotions in a creative way but without the burden of having to 'produce' anything.
If you don't feel like doing anything for a while, don't beat yourself up about it. Everybody needs a season to be still, to hibernate, to rest. Your productive season will come again, when you're ready.

Jane said...

reading all the other comments I see I can't really add anything new, they have said it all and the advice is good.
It is good and natural to lay fallow for a while, seeds germinate in the dark, trust that the seeds of your next work are there just waiting.