Tuesday, July 31, 2012

write me a letter?


Check out these amazing paper cut letters by Annie Vought. I mean awesome. I obviously love letters and text and have been really yearning to get back into a series I am excited about of letters so if I needed some inspiration I got some...

These are, generally speaking, quite large scale. I love how the shadow plays with the work.


Crazy details above. Her work reminds me a bit of Michael Scoggins though the themes and style are quite different.


She says this:

Email, text messages, instant messaging and Twitter are all examples of fun and immediate means of “written” communication. Through the computer I am in touch with people I may never have seen before and I can respond in real time to a loved one. But with the ubiquity of this access and convenience, we are losing the tangible handwritten letter. Handwritten records are fragments of individual histories. In the penmanship, word choice, and spelling the author is often revealed in spite of him/herself. A letter is physical confirmation of who we were at the moment it was written, or all we have left of a person or a time.

...I meticulously recreate notes and letters that I have found, written, or received... The handwriting and the lines support the structure of the cut paper, keeping it strong and sculptural, despite its apparent fragility. In these paper cutouts, I focus on the text, structure, and emotion of the letter in an elaborate investigation into the properties of writing and expression. Penmanship, word choice, and spelling all contribute to possible narratives about who that person is and what they are like. My recreating the letters is an extended concentration on peoples’ inner lives and the ways they express their thoughts through writing.


See more of her work here.

No comments: