Monday, March 14, 2011

Parlor style Antics.

Sunday afternoon was a very wonderful art event that I was part of called Parlor Antics. Artist Julie Kirkpatrick and her husband invite 5 artists to install work into their amazing historical Crown Heights town home.


They ask that the artists respond to the fact that the work is being hung in a home and respond to it as a place or its architecture.

I chose to hang a new work of mine in the front window of the parlor...love the back light with the work.

and install "waking with you" on a couch in the room.

I was so delighted to see my work in this environment and feel like it looks SO much better in a place that has history and is surrounded by the energy of life instead of a sterile white box... and I so wish I had the opportunity to see my work this way more often.

The event was wonderful, the people were so kind, sweet, and fun.

and so nice to have my art in a real home... I usually do not get to see it once it makes it there.

Hope you think it looks good too.

5 comments:

cardinal arts said...

your work does indeed look amazing in this environment
I also love how your kimono piece looks - well, actually; both your pieces look fantastic!
what a clever and interesting event for the homeowners to do-
would be interested to see how other's work was shown

Joetta M. said...

thanks so much, i thought the work looked good. I was very happy with it.
But I realized that i totally flaked on taking pictures of the other work... you can see bits of it on their flickr site but not good shots. I will add the link to this post.

Liz Noonan said...

is this the kimono piece? it has an ethereal quality to it that i see in your work, but for some reason this translates it more for me. very nice J!

Netamir said...

Your works look as if they were created as site specific for this space, at least this what I have thought before reading the text. They are just perfect that way.

Joetta M. said...

thank you all so much. i was super happy with showing in the space and got lucky with great light and therefore great pictures!! love having light behind my work now just have to figure out how to do that in a gallery...