Wednesday, March 23, 2011

red thread...


so this is some of what I was doing yesterday...a new series of "red work."

I have always loved the Chinese idea of the "red string of fate."

According to this myth, the gods tie an invisible red string around the ankles of men and women who are destined to be soul mates and will one day marry each other. The two people connected by the red thread are destined lovers, regardless of time, place or circumstances. This magical cord may stretch or tangle, but never break. This myth is similar to the Western concept of or a twin flame. via wickipedia

But whenever I tried to think of a project based on this it always became a little too literal for me. So as I was trying to come up with ideas for my August show, and looking at the works of Danica Phelps, and thinking about how while I worked on the much more layered and complicated pieces for Sleepers I wanted to do something more simple and.... here it is a series of images of my family in moments of loving all done in variants of red thread. Some of the pieces will have multiple layered images together and some will be more straightforward.

I am actually really excited to see how this would turn out as a series and also have an idea for a simple sculptural piece in the gallery and maybe a corner that has a bit of wallpaper as part of the installation. Wheels turning.

But I must say it is so nice to work with the simplicity of one color.

No comments: