Tuesday, March 20, 2012

studio visits...



I forgot to mention the lovely studio visit that I had last Friday with artist Jodi Colella. In moving, by far the hardest part is the loss of my community. I had found a great like-minded community of artists that were ambitious in their careers and inspiring and supportive of mine. Yes, I still have this community in many ways but I miss going to readings and art openings often to support friends and mingle with creative folks. But going to things such as this alone with a kiddo on your hip sucks and makes me miss my life in BK. But meeting artists like Jodi make me have hope. Jodi reached out to me I think via facebook after seeing through mutual friends that I was here.


She came to my studio a few weeks ago and made a few really confirming and even clarifying comments. But even better just talked art with me - which is something I am hungry for.




Visiting her super nice and spacious studio was wonderful. She has a lot going on right now in her career (including being a recent recipient of an arts council grant!) and much like me had a lot going on in her studio from really beautiful and sophisticated sculptures that she calls marrow. (which I have to say the photos to just do not do justice to her work they are so much more successful and interesting to see in person.)


To a large and wacky needle felt piece for a show with the best title ever gooey, gobby, gummy,
T loved this sculpture and could not keep his hands off of it. (with permission by the artist of course.)


Some of her most exciting work is very much in process, but she is creating large Irish crochet floating sculptures for a special event at Brandeis University. Her test sculptures are very body scaled but the final pieces will be much larger. I think this piece will be a great work as the floating pieces in the bright pop-y colors against the murky darkness of the water where it will be installed is exciting.

Jodi is an ambitious and smart artist which makes me happy and hopeful for the community of folks that I will find here. See more of Jodi's work here and follow her studio practice here.

anybody else around these parts want to trade studio visits?

No comments: