Thursday, December 17, 2009

the healing of thread.


One of the submission that I loved from connective thread was the moving work of artist Caroline Walshe. Caroline has a body of fiber work that deals with the aftermath of a good friends suicide.
The resulting work is moving and profound.


I love how Caroline combines the image with text in such a simple way.


In her statement Caroline says:
Fabric and the stitched word seemed the best possible way to communicate the horrific imagery left with me after this violent event. Embroidery gave the words and thoughts that were so difficult to say aloud a space to be expressed. Somehow the softness of thread and fabric, the beauty of stitching, the flexibility of the finished product and the comforting nature of textiles - we use them to clothe ourselves, to wipe our tears, to rest our faces on as we sleep - made textiles the best medium to convey the violence of the images, the nightmarish quality of suicide bereavement and the horror of the act itself.


Caroline strikes me as a eloquent and thoughtful artists and I hope to be able to curate her work into the text based show I plan in curating next year. I was honored to be introduced to her work.


Check out her lovely blog here.

No comments: