Monday, October 18, 2010

missed out on wonderful.



Why oh why do I always seem to find out about things after the fact? Seriously!!! This just closed yesterday and I found out about it yesterday and of course could not go. But Olek, know by her last name only, just had a show in NY titled Knitting is for P**sies which featured crochet "everything?" from people, to bodysuits which you could wear, bath tubs, text messages... and the exhibit continued out to the streets of NYC with crochet cozies on cars and bicycles.


I really love how she seems to approach her work with a ton of playfulness and just doesn't take it so freaking seriously.


And wowza loving her use of colors.


But I have to say that I think I prefer her non gallery work the best placing colorful crochet pieces through-out her world...

in windows...

in the woods....


on the bus....


or for a swim.


She states:
A loop after a loop. Hour after hour my madness becomes crochet. Life and art are inseparable. The movies I watch while crocheting influence my work, and my work dictates the films I select. I crochet everything that enters my space. Sometimes it’s a text message, a medical report, found objects. There is the unraveling, the ephemeral part of my work that never lets me forget about the limited life of art object and art concept. What do I intend to reveal? You have to pull the end of the yarn and unravel the story behind the crochet.

Quote from this fabulous article.


And even though I totally missed out on the show, I unknowingly saw one of her bikes when I would go teach yoga in dumbo and was continuously delighted by it so I sort of saw it?

See more Olek here and a great review here.

3 comments:

cardinal arts said...

wow! how amazing

Perpetua said...

I can't believe I didn't hear about that somehow! Great show--The car cozy is outstanding! It also kind of makes me wonder how I don't get more done....

Joetta M. said...

so glad you loved this as much as I did.
And me too how did I not know about this!!!