Wednesday, April 27, 2011

teaching and stuff.


This afternoon I head to NYU's Gallatin school to teach the first of a 2 session workshop. I have a feeling it is going to be great. The instructor contacted me and asked me to teach the final 2 classes so that the students could put their theoretical research and understanding toward a more creative expression. The class was described to me as:

Studying African American women's literature and art through the metaphor of quilting, the act of making beautiful, functional wholes out of fragments, scraps, and even leftovers. Through the idea of quilting the students are thinking about larger issues like memory, history and self representation. The students have read a series of novels, but also visited museums and art exhibits. At the end I would like the students to move away from examining other kinds of work and create projects of their own that use pieces of material, that make texts out of textiles, images, and more.

So needless to say I am very excited to lead this group of students into the act of making through some basic skills. I will be sure to document their progress so you can see what they do.

Tonight is also my last class of 3-d embroidery at the Textile Arts Center is has been a fun class with creative folks. It was totally full so if you are interested in my next class there check it out.
Or I have some super fun and different classes offered next month at Brooklyn General.

Do you have a space that you would like to me to teach at or curate for. Let me know as I always love a little more on my plate!!!

No comments: