Friday, July 9, 2010

archeology, un dig...



A fellow artist sent me a link to the artist Diane Savona's work and it is perfect work to share with you...


Diane uses found textiles, mostly clothing, to construct quilt like pieces that reference history, community, archeology, and the passage of life. Her work varies a ton but has the connective thread of the discoverer...


Diane says:
My art shows textiles in an archaeological context, presented as fossil specimens. Constructed of local salvaged linens, my work is connected to the people in my community, past and present.


I find the specimen like work intriguing though familiar... Her work in general has a slightly over-familiar nostalgia which makes is less exciting for me but the technique allows it to be quite beautiful.

I wonder how she could push the role of the idea of the archaeologist and what fiber represents in this? It looks like perhaps she has started to approach the work more as an installation which leads to very exciting possibilities


She has an extensive portfolio so check more of her lovely work out here.

1 comment:

Diane Savona said...

Hi Joetta,
Your comments on my art were really intriguing. Most people tell me they love it, it’s beautiful, but can’t give me deeper feedback. I would love to have more of a discussion with you about your art, my art…would you like to chat?
Dianesavona@aol.com