Wednesday, July 21, 2010

the other half of the bed.


Definitely not enough pictures on line to properly share the work of Jane McKeating. But I cannot not mention the amazing fiber book that she created entitled "How to sleep in a half a bed." This 8 page book illustrates how one might have to adjust to the end of a long marriage and how that half of the bed, though empty, still belongs so much to that other half.

C & I have been together for almost 12 years and living together for 10. I have a very hard time sleeping when he is not around- there is a familiarity and security in his body being there. When my grandfather died, I was greatly affected by imagining how my grandmother must have felt at the loss of her partner and friend of over 50 years. I feel like the absence of that love either through death or even divorce is shocking and must be an extremely vacant feeling. In my opinion this piece very much illustrates this loss in a beautifully poetic way.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

I saw this piece a few years back in Birmingham, UK. I was so inspired by it- thanks for sharing again. Its BEAUTIFUL, shame there aren't more photos of it webwide.

Joetta M. said...

oh, i am jealous the images online give you just a taste, I so wish I could see the entire thing.