Monday, August 11, 2008

Seeing an iconic symbol of feminism.


This weekend I went to the Brooklyn Museum, a undervalued NY museum.
And I finally saw the huge and permanent installation of Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party.
and...
well, it was amazing.

It was so big, and the gallery built for it was gorgeous.
and...
oh! the embroidery techniques on the panels were so unique, amazing, different, 3-dimensional, and so inspiring.


I have been meaning to teach myself more diverse embroidery and stitching techniques.
And now I pretty much have to- as these were just stunning.
The 3-dimensionality made ideas explode in my head.



I did not expect to enjoy it so much, after all the image is so ingrained in most any contemporary artist's head but...

it was so amazing to think of all the women with such skill and such amazing hands making this important piece, it was definitely worth it!

4 comments:

Molly said...

Oh! Oh! I need to see this in person. :)

Joetta M. said...

it is so worth the visit!!

j.leigh said...

so i was googling "yellow bird" and came across your page ... and cannot believe how lucky you are you got to see this! so amazing :)

Joetta M. said...

J- It is permanently installed so...anytime you come out to NY you can check it out...Hope you make it.