Monday, June 15, 2009

sweet musings, lovely layers



I have been a fan and follower of the wonderful words of poet Sofia Barao for almost a year now, reading her blog Aller- Router. But little did I know that she was also an amazingly talented artist.
Nadia mentioned it in a comment and I went over to investigate and was so pleasantly delighted.


Sofia creates lovely and dreamy photographs, super gorgeous jewelry, and lovely mixed media works. So walk through her dreamy world with me today.


I love the quiet subtlety in her work...



Her collages combine photographs, stitch, drawing, and text to create a layered and deeply moving and perhaps even wonderfully, sentimental experience.



She eloquently describes her work in her statement:

My work is a reflection of myself. My childhood, the way I see life and death, my woman's life...what I lived and what I live.

I’m attempting to keep a trace, a trace of things experienced; to work with the memories, to reinvent a story, to rebuild a past, maybe my own.

The Woman, in particular, inspires me; I seek her, decorticate her, and invent her. She's part of a whole in my work. I question myself about the relationship between the Woman and time that passes by: through her, on her, with her.

My work is definitely about my quest for my missing part...


To see her gorgeous jewelry go here, her words are here, her images here, and her musings here.

2 comments:

glam.spoon said...

thanks for the links! that is some beautiful work...

Joetta M. said...

beautiful indeed....