Monday, November 8, 2010

LB & Emin

Louise Bourgeois and Tracey Emin, When my cunt stopped living, 2009-2010

For those of you lucky enough to be in NY and have the time there is the must not miss, so sad I did miss, exhibit of the collaborative series of, wait for it....

Louise Bourgeois and Tracey Emin

Louise Bourgeois and Tracey Emin, I just died at birth, 2009-2010

Only 2 of the small group of artists that have most influenced and inspired me. For the last two years these amazing women collaborated together to create a new series of prints entitled "Do Not Abandon Me." Most of which consist of LB's signature and poignant images in watercolor combined with Tracey's biting, honest, and revealing text.

I found out about the show literally a day before I was leaving to go out of town so am unable to see it myself but the work is on view at Carolina Nitsch until November 13.

Louise Bourgeois and Tracey Emin, A sparrow’s heart, 2009-2010

I personally could not think of a more appropriate collaboration then these 2 brutally honest, courageous female artists whom are both deeply haunted by their past. I am sure that Emin was beyond honored and excited to work with such a legend as Louise, one that the art world misses profoundly.



In an interview with the BBC Emin stated:

... working with Louise on a collaboration for the last two years. It was a symbiotic thing. Because we both work with our hearts and what actually drives us emotionally, we connected very, very well and I have felt deeply privileged to have been able to work with her. So she’s not really an influence, more of a kindred spirit.

Read a great article about the collaboration and exhibit here.
and luckily for those of us that miss the exhibit there is a catalogue, this is my number one item for my Christmas list for sure!

No comments: