Friday, November 12, 2010

ramble.


It is so interesting living, even if just for a month, in a place with such a different and specific culture. I mean this town is ALL about skiing and snowboarding. It is intense especially now that the slopes opened. It is just always fascinating to be reminded how vast and diverse this country is. I have done most of my skiing in Vermont since it is so close to Massachusetts and the "culture" of skiing is so different there. I am fascinated by this.

Just an observation and another one...

It has been snowing quite a bit here, which I am delighted by as this is one thing I truly miss about living in Mass. is all the snow. We are lucky to get one real storm in NYC a year, of course people there think that one inch of snow is snow, yeah right. But what is so interesting again is this little town that gets dumped on all winter long and that is absolutely a walking town SUCKS at snow removal it is so slippery and scary to walk about and treacherous to drive. But I am always amused by snow removal everywhere as living in Boston they truly have it down to a science and home- owners are held responsible for their sidewalks. If only we could place NYC right where Boston is I would be truly happy. I think I am just rambling about observations today.

Anyhoo, it is super gorgeous and almost alien looking to see these majestic mountains covered in snow and something I am trying to remind myself to stop, look up, and be in awe of everyday. I know that it is so easy to forget the wonder of the place you live, I know in my everyday life in NYC I often forget and then one moment I will look up, see the city, and be in awe of its beauty and power. So here in the mountains I too am attempting to remember to find that awe, gratitude, and wonder.

And in the meantime, I am stitching away, and apparently babbling too. Can you tell I have no one to chat with here?

4 comments:

Dana said...

Lovely post!
I've been living for few years in Gibraltar and even it is a wonderful place, still I miss a real autumn and a real, freezing winter with lots of snow.

Joetta M. said...

yep, I always prefer having my four seasons, distinct and wonderfully unique:)

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

Sounds like you're having a beautiful time in Colorado. The highs here are still in the 40s and 50s, so no serious snow for a while. I have heard, however, that Michigan is supposed to have a very snowy winter this year.

I love the differences in culture between states. Reminds me of the fact that some countries are as big as our states and even speak different languages at the borders. What an interesting country we live in.

Sorry, guess I'm rambling too...

Joetta M. said...

i know, both times I have been in europe it is so strange to me how quickly you are in a place with a new culture and language and when you are in the US it is so easy to forget how vast and diverse we are.