Wednesday, September 16, 2009

embroidered drawings galore.


I was recently contacted and very flattered by an incredibly kind email by fellow fiber artist and embroiderer Rebecca Rinquist. When I clicked over to her website her work seemed so very familiar to me that I swore I must have posted about her before, because her work is perfect for the little blog here. But in searching my archives I cannot find such a post so am posting now. Perhaps for the 2nd time.
But great artists can be featured hundreds of times and are still inspiring.


Rebecca creates very layered amazing stitched drawings, using mostly what appears to be machine stitched work. Rebecca also started as a photographer like me, was inspired by the tradition and history of embroidery to change her path as an artist, and begins her work with a found embroidered linen as her canvas. So with all our similarities you can see why we have an affinity towards each others work.


Inspired by old books, autograph books, found cards and valentines, and fairy tales Rebecca makes exquisite and multi-dimensional thread drawings.



Rebecca in an interview taking about her technique:
I think the violent way that I have of machine stitching conveys a sense of speed and aggression that really alters the meaning of all this cloth that’s been carefully hand stitched by others. Most of the embroidery that I collect has been stitched by women using iron-on transfers. These are decorative cloths used to spruce up the sofa, the dresser top, the bridge table. There is an overabundance of it in circulation. By stitching over it, I am really changing the meaning. I’m taking it off the table, off the sofa, into a conceptual place where I can begin to tell my own stories while referencing ideas about domestic contentment and decoration.
Read the entire interview here.

She has one of those finicky websites that protect her work from easily being dragged and dropped so be sure to go over and check out more of her lovely work!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

very very cool work! Thanks for sharing!