Thursday, March 11, 2010

woven woman.



The gorgeous woven work of Andrea Donnelly. Andrea makes super lovely large scale woven self portraits.

I love how each piece comes all the way down to the floor, the feet just barely resting upon the earth... with a soft pile of fabric underneath.


In her statement she says:

I investigate the psychological space of my interior world through the labor and language of weaving by hand. A curious onlooker to my own internal narrative, I gather the ephemeral visions that occupy my periphery into the physical presence of image woven in cloth.

Through passage of time and rhythm of repetition, the actions of weaving are captured and layered like memory in the buildup of thread upon thread. As I weave, I submerge image within its structure. The density and transparency of that structure give form to both image and atmosphere. The cloth I create is a mental landscape, quietly inhabited.


I am so overwhelmed with my to do list today that this is all you get- but Andrea's website had some more very lovely words to describe the different series that she has done and images of her earlier very cool installations.

5 comments:

Quilt Architect said...

Andrea's weaving and website took my breath away. I am just in awe of the beauty and light feeling of her cloth. I can't imagine unweaving and then reweaving a textile to change the print. Amazing.

Unknown said...

hi joetta,
maybe you've seen this already, but if not, congrats on your link:
http://designismine.blogspot.com/2010/03/thought-of-day-lovely.html

Joetta M. said...

yes, this is the 2nd artist I have featured recently that weaves and then reweaves their work. The metaphor is quite lovely:)

Thanks hannah for letting me know:)

beruta said...

Hi,
Really interesting this lady`s work... very evocative...
I`d love to see it in person.

Thanks for sharing ;)

Joetta M. said...

i would love to see in it person myself, especially because of the scale:)