Tuesday, December 20, 2011

canceled distinctions


I feel like there is just so many amazing and exciting things being done in "fiber" I just cannot keep up. This varies from fiber artists doing more and more exciting and unexpected things to more traditional "fine artists" choosing to make works or series with fiber materials. To the point that even making those distinctions are needing to be canceled more and more. In an article that I am working on I will discuss this further which makes me excited as it gives me an excuse to research it further, talk about it further, and think about it more.

A great example of this is a recent article on Joanna Mattera's blog. Joanna writes very thoughtful and academic posts on being an artist. She always thoroughly covers the art fairs that she attends. She is currently writing on Miami. Her most recent post was on a trend of "black" objects that she saw. But as I scrolled down the post I was astounded, inspired, and excited by how many of these pieces are incorporating fiber from embroidery to weaving to stretched vinyl (actually kind of a lot of vinyl.) Most of these artists are approaching fiber in a VERY contemporary way but to me it is all exciting.

Have you seen this trend of fiber in mainstream galleries? Do you love seeing your work hanging next to paintings and drawings or prefer it not?

Both images above from Joanna's blog.

2 comments:

Heidi Field Alvarez said...

Thanks for the updates Joetta. I don't know how you keep up! I'm digging the black vinyl.

Joetta M. said...

me neither, i know lots of cool vinyl stuff happening right?