Monday, February 15, 2010

color webs.



Gorgeous work by artist Caroline Lathan-Stiefel. Caroline's installations play with color, negative space, and the power of thread beautifully.


I love how she responded in a site specific installation to a historical home and its furnishings. I would love to see this done more often in historical museums and homes.


I really enjoy how the below work, Split barrier, wraps around the wall, seeming quite subtle and minimal initially...
and then you walk into this chaos of color and play.



Caroline describes her inspiration and working process:

Since 2000, I have been making large scale installations made mainly of textile materials. I see these installations as drawings in space with a prevailing sense of line and color. Integral to the work is the idea of sprawl, as in makeshift, proliferating growth. The use of commonplace craft materials (such as pipe cleaners and yarn) and discarded household materials (such as dry cleaning bags and fruit nets) also help to give the work a provisional quality. Through a labor-intensive process, patches of fabric and plastic are sewn or pinned to structures made of pipe cleaners and wire. In my room-sized installation, Whorl, most of the sections that made up the work were abstract and cellular, while some forms vaguely referred to architectural structures, domestic objects, and marine biology.


I enjoy how her work seems to be one thing as you take it in as a whole and then as you spend time with it and walk around all these surprising details come forward.

See more of her work here.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read the article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Truly yours

Joetta M. said...

thanks. i find her work very unique and exciting:)