Thursday, January 21, 2010

poetic performance...


The connective thread opening was greatly enhanced, in my humble opinion, by having the live performance, unraveling, by artist Marcy Chevali.

hung remnants of performance.
Marcy submitted the images of her performance to be considered for the exhibition, but I was so compelled by the performance itself -I asked if she would be willing to do it live for us. She agreed. Little did I know that this would be her first live performance.


During the opening she sat quietly in a chair at the center of it all unraveling the sweater that she was wearing and knitting it onto her needles. When viewers spoke to her she was happy to engage with them as her knitting needles clicked on. I thought it was very successful.
A few days later Marcy came to hang the "remnants" of her performance, which were beautiful as they hang suspended from the ceiling right in the space she performed. I much preferred seeing the remnants in the gallery space as opposed to photographs of the actual performance, to me it spoke much louder.


Castle, a performance where she build herself into a castle made of sugar glass.

Marcy, a fellow Ohioan, creates very beautiful and poetic work, often working in a very pale and subdued palette.


images from The Things She Moves Around Beneath, a performance in which tea leaves are wrapped and hung. Viewers can use hot water to steep and consume the tea.

In her statement she says:
I build my work as re-presentations of emotional situations in my life. The materials I use and the way they interact become metaphors, diagrams. I choose ordinary materials for certain qualities that accurately portray the situations with which I am concerned. Often, additional attributes of the materials become unexpectedly significant.

My work is wrapped, covered, bound, enclosed, hidden, surrounded. Paradoxically, it is often transparent, translucent or with gaping holes, revealing the walls of an empty room. When looked through, my pieces alter perspective, cause things to appear distorted, cloudy, or tinged with yellow.

In building and altering these autobiographical narratives, I hope that I can understand and rework the situations. I think of the results as obsessive gestures of hope.

The Apples Were Heavy In Her Bag

I love how Marcy incorporates smell into her work by including elements like spices and tea. Reminds me of Ernesto Neto, her palette too.

without a safety net

Marcy's sculptural work is just as compelling as her performance. to see more of her work and get detailed descriptions of pieces visit her website.

Marcy will be speaking at the artists talk this Sunday at 5:30 pm.

No comments: