Wednesday, February 15, 2012

signatures stitched...

How did I miss this detail of one of Do Ho Suh's Paratrooper pieces? Embroidered signatures on the parachute.


The details of the signature are so beautiful with all the threads connecting to the man. I have really been wanting to push the conceptual thread of my work and this piece is SO inspiring.


Read a nice review on him here and read my review of his recent show here. Just looking back on the review reminds me of how much I love the way he explores the "idea" of the home and makes me think about what is it that really makes a place home?

What makes somewhere home to you?

2 comments:

henrietta (aka ani aka zani) said...

what a remarkable piece. I would love to see this in person and just ponder in front of it. So glad i checked in today. Home for me is closing the door - yes, keeping out the noise. I am dealing with a mother that has dementia so when I get to go to my house, "my home," the quiet is what helps define the safe spot of home. Home is safety.

Joetta M. said...

me too, i would love to get lost in it.

I love your description of home, so honest and in some ways probably true for many of us.