Thursday, June 5, 2008

conflicted.

I saw Samantha Contis' work on the year in pictures...
And I will be honest I am much more moved by her older work then her new work.
But either way she is a photographer that is the lovechild of Sally Mann and Gregory Crewdson. ( I do not know if that is a good thing or a bad thing)
She combines Crewdson's (she did go to Yale) use of light and composition with the pathos and vulnerability Sally always finds with posing and contrast...

ala Sally:

ala Crewdson:
ala Crewdson at Sally's house:

Contis' landscapes are different then her figurative work, more honestly quiet then contrived quiet.
I particularly like the snow image as I have become obsessed with snow/house landscapes since I fell in love with the surprisingly lovely movie Lars and the Real girl....



What do you think...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have to say I am a big fan of Sally Mann's work. I am Not sure how I feel about Samantha work, althought a few of the boys shots are empressive I can't feel like something is missing. I do like some of the landscapes. I have loved the snow forever, but definetely know what you are talking about when come to Lars in the real world...a quiet simplicity, in every set.

onesilentwinter said...

"can't help but feel like something is missing"(sorry Joetta mind thoughts are defintely faster than my typing!)

Joetta M. said...

yeah, is that what it is, something missing? I agree that "the boys" are the strongest images...but am conflicted...