Monday, June 23, 2008

old friends...


As I sit with anticipation of the opening at the Guggenheim of the major retrospective of Louise Bourgeois...
I begin to think about the 3 artists whom I love the most, whom have inspired me and more importantly have taught me...

Louise is the 3rd, she is a new love only a few years old...
Sophie a long time friendship...
and Annette a lifetime.

As I enter a new phase in my career, I must confess I am not wanting to find new inspiration I am wanting to revisit my good friends like an old book, those that have inspired me from my infancy as an artist...
today, Annette:

The above 2 images are from her Collections, Collection to Find My Best Signature.

One of the first pieces I ever heard about of Annette Messeger's was the piece My Collection of Proverbs. Proverbs about women from all over the world, noticing the negative statements, and fear behind them Annette embroiders them with love... reclaiming.

Some examples are:
"You must take men as they are and women as they want to be."
" A single women has a broken wing"
"The devil swallowed a women but could not swallow her"

10 years before I ever though if picking up a needle and embroidery thread, I was captivated by her honesty, courage, text, and stitch.

Collection of Anatomical Sentences:

"I think therefore I suck."

Her humor and anger and brave voice inspires me still to this day as much as the first.

Merci mon amie....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay I am coming!

etre-soi said...

Oh Louise Bourgeois, there was an exhibition here a few months ago at the Pompidou Museum, I was stucked at my museum the only day I have free is also the same day they close so no luck....But I hope to go to see Sophie Calle this september.