Call for work- small stories- Fiber exhibition
In the 2012 June exhibit, small stories, at the Urban Alchemist Gallery & Collective we desire to share and celebrate the small stories of life. We ask artists who work in fibers or fiber techniques to submit works. Feel free to interpret this theme widely, abstract & conceptual works are welcome. Wall work, suspended, and sculptural work is applicable. Though there is no exact limit of dimensions the space is limited so most works selected will be smaller or larger works that are flexible in how they are installed (i.e multiples hung or placed separately). There is one large window space and we welcome proposal's specifically for this space.
Please note we are looking for contemporary interpretations of fiber and textiles.
Opening Night: TBD
Urban Alchemist Gallery & Collective is a sweet street level space located in the heart Brooklyn, NY conceived in 2008 as part store, part gallery and part artisan salon, Urban Alchemist offers an eclectic and highly curated mix of work by independent designers and artists. The space is steps from the very busy business district of 5th Avenue in Park Slope and gets a ton of foot traffic and visitors. The space offers great exposure and the clientele comes in to buy.
- All artists over 18 are eligible.
- Work can utilize any medium but must primarily use fiber or fiber techniques.
- Work must be original.- small editions are acceptable
- Work must be created after 2006
DEADLINE: April 28, 2012
Submit by mail or email (email strongly preferred)
Mail submissions to
Attention: Joetta Maue
785 Somerville Ave, #3
Somerville, MA 02143
- Entries must be postmarked or emailed by April 28, 2012.
- $12 entry fee- 5 works per entry- a maximum of 1 detail per work.
- Images must be correctly sized-300 dpi, Largest dimension 8 inches MAX, jpeg only. Either email as jpeg attachments or via DropBox or mail on cd . PLEASE DO NOT SEND ZIPPED FILES & DO NOT SEND MULTIPLE EMAILS WITH IMAGES. You can size down the images so that they can fit in one email.
- Artist statement- 300 words or less. (optional)
- All work details including title, dimensions, technique, materials, & date.
Website or blog url:
- Pay submission fee ($12) by personal check or money order (made to curator Joetta Maue) or via the paypal button below.About the Curator:
Joetta Maue is a full-time artist, curator, critic, and arts writer mostly working in fibers. Joetta has curated 4 large fiber exhibitions in the NY area and regularly writes about fiber work on her own blog, Little Yellow Bird, the Textile Arts Center Blog, and Mr. X Stitch. She exhibits her work widely across the country and internationally. Her work has been featured in the books Indie Craft & Push Stichery, and the journals Martha Stewart Living, Fiber Art Now, Needle Magazine & more.
You can see images and features from her most recent curatorial exhibitions here.
To see Joetta's work her website www.joettamaue.com.
-Exhibition Flyers will be made and distributed.
-Press Release and promotion will be extensive in the NYC area
-Work will be professionally installed and exhibited.
-The artist is responsible for all shipping costs.
-Any works sold will have a 40% commission taken.
-Each selected artist will be featured in Little Yellow Bird.
Deadline for receipt is April 28, 2012.