Friday, May 23, 2008

Polaroids by M


Since there us so much attention on Polaroid art and such with the announcement of the companies demise... it seems fitting that the Whitney is showing Mapplethorpe's Polaroids.I have to say that I may not have ended up as a photographer without exposure to Mapplethorpe. At the age of 16 he was my favorite photographer, I was so seduced by his use of light and shadow... his tones...
I most loved the images he took of Patty Smith, they held so much intimacy.
And at the inexperienced and unlearned age of 16 I had never seen anything like it...
I have moved well beyond Mapplethorpe as my favorite photographer but I still pore over his images when I see them ... he was a master of seeing light and form...




And I guess my parents were pretty cool for letting me look at and love Mapplethorpe at 16...

No comments: