Tuesday, November 10, 2009

hope chest.



There was a link over to artist Laurel Roth's work over at the excellent and often racy embroidery blog Mr. Xstitch, and I just had to share more of her work over here. Laurel is a mixed media artist using lots of different materials and techniques to explore issues of femininity and consumer products for the body.

birth control.

I particularly love her hope chest series in which she embroiders on to panty liners. This is what Laurel says about her hope chest series-
Relearning embroidery and crochet techniques originally learned in childhood, I’ve also been filling my own “hope chest” with off-kilter reflections on biology, fertility, and the ever-changing roles of women.


She also tends to create a lot of work that references the animal world. From knitted and crochet pieces.


to peacocks made out of barrettes and fake nails!




From her statement:
I use art as a medium to examine biological ramifications of human behavior. My work juxtaposes traditional craft and artisanal techniques with non-traditional materials to examine mankind’s drive to modify itself as well as its environment. By playing with the convergence of biology and product design to create new cultural artifacts, I try to question social constructions of need, design, and individual desire.

See more of her work here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just really want to thank you for you...and your generosity in showing new and amazing artists such as yourself! Your blog is truly a wonderland of exploration. :)

Joetta M. said...

angela- thank you so much, it means so much to know that all the time i spend on this little blog is appreciated by readers like you. Keeps me going:)

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read that blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Joetta M. said...

glad I could lead you to interesting stuff. her work is definitely very fascinating:)