Tuesday, January 11, 2011

negative space.


I could have sworn that I had featured artist Daniaelle Simonsen here before, but cannot seem to find her previous post so who knows. But if I have not I cannot believe how long it has taken me to get around to featuring her. I have known of her work for awhile now and love her free style of drawing and her limited but perfect use of color and dangling thread.


My favorite images of her's have a ton of movement, a lot of white negative space, and an ethereal, dreamy, otherwordly energy to them.


She seems to approach her stitching as a drawing more then a stitched work and that is evident in her style and what makes her work so lovely. (I love her use of a faded out printed fabric as her background here, love it.)


Something that she does that I have been thinking about and pondering about tryign in my own work lately is her use of transparant fabrics in her applique process. I think I need to do it!


You can see Daniaelle's work at an exhibit which opens this Saturday in Silverlake, Ca. and follow her process over at her lovely little blog here.

I cannot wait to see what she does next and hopefully someday that is in person.

4 comments:

TREVOR Simonsen said...

Daniaelle is amazing!

Joetta your art is wonderful! I'm putting your blog in my RSS reader.

Joetta M. said...

so true, but I think you better say that right?
:)

TREVOR Simonsen said...

sorry for using your blog to win browny points with my woman.

:)

Joetta M. said...

hey brownie points are always a good thing:)