Tuesday, January 11, 2011

the right fabric.


Here is a little bit of me playing with 3 dimensionality in the studio. I am very excited about this piece in general but...feel like I need to find a different fabric to be the large draping sheet. Maybe a trip to the thrift store is necessary or maybe I just need to do something unexpected like lace or something. Just not sure. But the draping and bedding of the image is SO important to the work I don't want to make the wrong call.

Heading to the studio today, I kind of just need to focus on computer work but can never seem to get motivated towards that. Ergh. I really wish I could just have a babysitter one day, go to the coffee shop and bust out all these applications. But ya know babysitters aren't free.

So I will probably just focus on stitching and maybe try to figure out a weekend day this week that I can leave the babe with C and get the "paperwork" side of being an artist done and out of the way for awhile.

3 comments:

Leigh said...

lace might bring an interesting new dimension to your work, but would depend on the intended meaning. defo needs to be a lighter fabric though (i've learnt the hard way with heavy cotton fabrics pulling out my hard earned stitching when the piece was hung up!) x

Liz Noonan said...

how about an after school "mothers helper"? there are some programs who train teens to be bbsitters, if that makes you feel more comfortable? much cheaper - or even a college student?

Joetta M. said...

I have actually used cottons and am even sewing on a bedcloth. I like the way it hangs when I am prepared for it- I pin it hanging and then sew it, piece bu piece.

But I have thought of using lace a few times I just love its femininity and its romance but am also unsure as it is SO feminine. But maybe it is time to take a risk? We will see.

Liz-
Good advice maybe I will look into that. I wish I knew a kid that could do it. I also think I just need to suck it up and occasionally accept it is better for both me and t to get a babysitter when I really need it.
:)