Thursday, June 12, 2008

fullfillment...

a thing we can only hope for but potentially always have.
This is the most personal and in my opinion meaningful piece of my thesis show...

Fulfillment is handwritten list of over 150 names of women artists who have had children, artists and mothers...the 2 most rewarding and difficult paths in life.

The only criteria for the list is that the women are lifelong artists, committed to their practice.
They can be alive or dead, famous or unknown, simply visual artists and mothers.

The names are alphabetized on the wall to eliminate a hierarchy in them.
The names are written directly on the gallery wall to force the role of mother into the "space" of the gallery.

- a very subtle piece,
as you can see it does not photograph well at all,
and if installed in the most ideal way something that one could almost pass over.
This is meant to bring up the issue that in the art world women generally "hide" the fact that they are mothers from their collectors, galleries, and public as they are not taken seriously as artist if they are mothers...
and the idea that many women chose not to be mothers because they felt the need to choose between their career and that role...and though it is changing it is still the reality.

To me, my life will not be fulfilled unless I achieve both roles and so I did this piece to prove to myself that I can do both...and it is surprising and inspiring how many highly successful artists have had children, some have had many children...

so if you now of any women I can add to the list let me know... as I would love to see this piece grow.

4 comments:

onesilentwinter said...

beautifull Joetta you are lovely.

Josephine said...

wow! i'm truly touched by the photographs of this piece and your accompanying words. i think it's something all women struggle with. thank you for creating this.

Molly Donnermeyer said...

I enjoy that the list is actually written on the gallery wall. It evokes the marks one makes to measure the growth of one's child. In the future you may want to think about documenting the action of making the list, to reinforce the idea of mothers/artists and creation. Very interesting.

Joetta M. said...

i love the idea of it referencing the height of your child as they grow...nice.
and like the idea of documenting the creation...

and thanks to all of you for enjoying it...it is a piece very close to my heart...