Sunday, June 22, 2008

what did you do this weekend...

I was all NY traditions all the way.
First, a good old fashioned Yankees game, but of course as someone who lived in Massachusetts for over 5 years, no cheering for the Yankees.
I was cheering for my real home town team, the Cincinnati Reds... and we kicked those Yankee's butts....
But I have to say the Yankee fans were so fun and SO loud.


Now getting home from the bottleneck train station and craziness of the crowd, that was not so fun but we survived....

image from coneyisland.com

And then the wonderful fabulousness of the amazing entity called the Mermaid Parade.
A Coney Island tradition.
This parade is over 20 years old and is part of celebrating the summer season with a nod toward the mardi gras parade which existed in the early 20th century.

In reality it is crazy costumes, lots of naked boobs, tails, nets, stilts, roller skates, hula hoops, and fun!!!!



And then after the parade is done you get to pig out on french fries and corn on the cob at the beach...


Then there is the infamous Wonder Wheel, at one time the largest Ferris wheel in the world, and only one of 3 of its kind... the cages drop and swing as you go around.......
So fun and what a view.
And after the parade of king and queen into the ocean with fruit thrown to the gods you go home sun burnt, exhausted, and smiling.

A good way to start the summer, now I need to rest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great time you had! hoe fun!

Bonbon Oiseau said...

Ahh-I love the mermaid parade--we've marched init every year and this was the first year we didn't go. Looks like oyu had a fabulous time!
Your blog is wonderful--so glad i found it (via le porte rouge)!

Joetta M. said...

bonbon- welcome and glad you found me, I love your name... I looked at your jewelry and am pretty confident that I own a piece of yours, i am in brooklyn too...looking forward to following blogs with you:)