Tuesday, April 22, 2008

this ain't your grandma's lace...



 

Works of Artist Cal Lane.  I first saw her work at the amazing show Radical Lace and Subversive Knitting.
And have since thought about it often, I particularly like how she leaves the dirt from the process to make lace patterns on the floor.
A wonderful mixture of the masculine and feminine material...

I feel like she took the words right out of my mouth:


I like to work as a visual devil’s advocate, using contradiction as a vehicle for finding my way to an empathetic image, an image of opposition that creates a balance - as well as a clash - by comparing and contrasting ideas and materials.This manifested in a series of “Industrial Doilies”, pulling together industrial and domestic life as well as relationships of strong and delicate, masculine and feminine, practical and frivolity, ornament and function. There is also a secondary relationship being explored here, of lace used in religious ceremonies as in weddings, christenings and funerals,

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh woooow ! I just stumble across your blog. I followed a link, from a comment you had made. I didn't even chek the rest of you blog because this post actually made me say Ohh wooow, out loud.
They are beautiful pieces !

Joetta M. said...

So glad you stumbled here,hope you come back and visit again:)