Monday, April 21, 2008

truth and serenity

I am feeling very mellow today and she just fit my mood:






I have never been a big fan of minimalism and ironically now I am writing about it in my thesis, researching it for myself, and being inspired which reminded me of ...
the fact that
I had never really appreciated Agnes Martin, (though she did not consider herself a minimalist) that is, until I got to see many of her works in person.

While working at the gallery PaceWildenstein I got the privilege of seeing most of Martins work, up close and personal, and in short:

it is amazingly beautiful and serene.

Martin says:

Any material may be used but the theme is the same and the response is the same for all artwork... we all have the same concern, but the artist must know exactly what the experience is. He must pursue the truth relentlessly.


Agnes Martin often speaks of joy; she sees it as the desired condition of all life. Who would disagree with her?... No-one who has seriously spent time before an Agnes Martin, letting its peace communicate itself, receiving its inexplicable and ineffable happiness, has ever been disappointed. The work awes, not just with its delicacy, but with its vigor, and this power and visual interest is something that has to be experienced.

my favorite part of her work is the allowed flaws, the moment where the human hand falters and proves its own humanity.

No comments: