Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chelsea and I strolled.


Kate Clark at Claire Oliver

Her work described by critic Tracey Candido:

Although the artist embarks in a journey towards shocking and repelling viewers as they recognize and reject the things presence, it is because Clark works with previously living creatures that she is also able to infuse an odd warmth and familiarity into the piece. We connect to Clark's work on a primitive level: humans are derived from animalistic ferocity, yet like her sculpture we exist behind a mask of docile subordination- we are the sophisticated monster, we are the civilized wild.

What more can I add to that? It is a perfect description of this fascinating work.


Other highlights from Chelsea:



Mia Westerlund Roosen at Betty Cunningam has lovely work and the sound of the water running down her large sculpture (similar to the one above) in the echo chamber of the gallery was wonderful.


Very beautiful drawings from artist Yayoi Asoma at the CUE. I kind of wish I could have one in my house. Actually I really wish I could. Of course that would mean that I have a larger apt since they are quite large.


and last but not least Andreas Gursky spread throughout Chelsea in the multiple Matthew Marks Gallery spaces. Though all his work was great the above image of a coal miners locker room was astoundingly beautiful, sad, tragic, and human. I could have stared at it for an hour.
And the placement of it all alone in a super small gallery just added to its power.

Thanks for taking a stroll with me.

No comments: