Friday, November 7, 2008

"I"


Is there too much I in the way that I look at life.
Am I selfish to simply demand the life that I want.
Why do people (C) always interpret me wanting my life to be happy and fulfilling to be an attack on there own desires.
It gets so confusing and especially is confusing since I have been this way since I was a child.

Just to recap C is already feeling stressed, angry, and resentful that I do not have a job and though I completely understand is feelings- I do not really know what to do about it.
It took me 3 months to find the horrifying job that I had and that was before all the craziness with the economy... So it looks like we have a long and perhaps difficult road ahead.

Maybe we should just drop everything and move to Maine?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. I have experienced similar feelings recently. My mantra kind of became a version of that old saying "you are responsible for your own happiness". Keep doing what makes you happy and the rest will fall into place.
ps your work is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I was just having this conversation with a girlfriend last night - about being an artist, and female, in a relationship - it's tough. It feels selfish because you simply can't live without your art -it is who you are, who we are - without it, we will not survive. To cut it off is like asking us to stop breathing. I find that hard to explain to a partner. And I've been through a few, i can tell you, because of it. The tricky bit is finding the balance and understanding within your relationship, and in the meantime, not doubting your direction. I hope you find that balance, your work is beautiful and I want to see it flourish. But I know, the practical side says to you, 'but why does she have the right to tell you that, is she paying your bills?' It's a tricky road we're on, but I do feel the rewards will be revolutionary. xx

Joetta M. said...

anonymous- thank you so much for your encouragement and sweet words.



Pia- thank you so much for sharing. all of my artist friends are with artists so they just do not understand at all, they think he is selfish, wrong.
So nice to hear that someone can understand and "have been though a few" and still stands by both their own joy and passion but also there love.
Thank you.