Tuesday, October 27, 2009

concrete lace....


I would love to walk upon this in a regular old building, it would truly make my day. This concrete lace is a new installation at the new Nottingham Contemporary building. They chose a lace work to reflect the history of the area.
Lace maker Louise West created the piece.

Louise is a traditional lace maker and makes some truly gorgeous traditional works of lace from collars, to lace ribbons, to lace table works. It seems like just recently she has started to explore more contemporary ways of sharing lace.
Some cool new works range from free form pieces:



To nature inspired bobbin lace.




She has like 20 blogs all with only a few posts so it is kind of difficult and frustrating to research her. She would benefit from a computer savvy person helping her consolidate into one or 2 blogs. But regardless she has talented fingers and I am so intrigued by her Concrete lace piece and hope to see more in the future.

2 comments:

Jolie said...

I live in Nottingham. In fact i'm studying Fine Art at Nottingham Trent University, and me and my friends went past the Nottingham Contemporary building the other week, and were blown away by how gorgeous the outside walls were, with this beautiful imprint of lace. We're all looking forward to it opening on 14th Nov! Maybe one day you could have your work there :D I'd love to see your work in person.

Joetta M. said...

oh, how I would love to see this in person. I am jealous.
and would love to show their someday, thanks:)