Monday, March 8, 2010

mother blessing...

the henna beginnings.
My mother blessing/baby shower was this weekend and it was amazing. Sadly, my camera died after only 5 photos so I am waiting for others to email me some images to share with C and you. And there are some super beautiful ones that I cannot wait to get.

ready to plaster.
I had a very traditional and very lovely baby shower with my family in Ohio right before Christmas. So I decided since my friends are a collection of very creative and unique women, use to my wacky hippie ways to go a little non -traditional for this one. I was so lucky to have my sweet friend Kate take the reins and give me this love and belly filled day. We started the afternoon with much delicious healthy food. And then I promptly stripped down to a tank top and bared my belly and eventually by breast to get a belly cast made of my mama belly. I was a little nervous about how some of the attendees would feel about my nakedness- but everyone had a great time and it was wonderful to have so many loving hands laid upon me to memorialize this wonderful moment in my life.

one big belly.
There is one photo that I am totally getting blown up of me getting cast and there are literally 5 hands on me. It truly shows how surrounded and supported by love me, the babe, and C are.

my beads, i love the grunt, reminding me to tap into that primal nature, the acorn reminding me of my mother earth strength, and the elephant, a magical animal who is an excellent mother.

We then did the mother blessing bead ceremony, where all the attendees gave me a bead and told its significance. I will then string these beads and have the necklace with me during labor to remind me of the the love and support we are surrounded by. I was incredibly moved and touched by the thoughtful and sweet words my friends shared with me.

We ate some more, laughed some more, opened some gifts were I was showered with generosity. And to top the day off I did some more belly baring and had my belly henna'd. I felt extremely blessed and grateful beyond words to have such a wonderful and loving event held in me and my babies honor. I highly recommend folks consider this for themselves when they have a baby as it was truly special.
I promise once I get a few of the super lovely pictures to share them.

Now I have to go back to work- mostly on the computer today!!!

7 comments:

Amelia said...

wow - what a lovely shower, and lovely friends. I too am a hippy at heart ;)

good luck with new motherhood and creativity too! Hope to see more on your blog

Lol,

Amelia.x

Elizabeth said...

This looks so good. What a love is showered on you and your new baby. Looking forward to see more pictures and read your enthousiastic comments with them.

Joetta M. said...

thank you so much- it was wonderful:)

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

What an incredible shower you had! It is wonderful to be surrounded by so many loving friends and family. I love the henna on your belly. Do you think it will last until your due date?

Joetta M. said...

i too loved the henna- but sadly it did not take very well at all:( so though if it had taken properly it might have lasted this one will not.
I hoped it would take well and I had my hands and feet henna'd for my wedding.
it was indeed wonderful:)

bronwyn said...

A very belated congratulations to you! What a lovely shower way to celebrate.

Joetta M. said...

thank you:)