Monday, March 22, 2010

weaving a portrait, fading in and out.



Hand woven photographs by artist Ilene Godofsky. Ilene creates beautiful hand woven works that she then prints alternative process portraits on. The merging of the image with the texture and patterns of the woven work is beautiful and creates a complex portrait.
Ilene states this about her work:

My work is about exploring the connection between the human experience and craft. I am fascinated by the precise nature of craftsmanship, and the sense of exact decisiveness in every step of the process. I draw inspiration from studying craft throughout history, and attempt to work intuitively in my own pieces, while keeping cultural and historical references in mind. My weavings attempt to evoke a quiet moment for the viewer, where subtle shifts are picked up in the details, and the beauty of things that are created over time is recognized... By combining alternative photography with hand weaving, I attempt to create works that speaks to the innate human aesthetic and necessity to create, which has universally revealed itself in every culture.



I was an alternative photo junky for years and love seeing it used in this way... I feel like her work will continue to develop into even more exciting things. One to watch for sure.
See more of Ilene's work at her minimal website here.

3 comments:

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

Wow, these are awesome! I would love to do something in this direction with weaving. I've had a hard time seeing how I could use weaving as a means for expression... I love it to death and wish that I could weave every day, even just functional fabric, but I would really love to find it as an artistic medium, too. I'm so glad you featured her, Joetta.

Joetta M. said...

glad she inspired you- i thought is was great:)

Wen said...

Absolutely stunning!