Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Presidents Day....


Considering the holiday I thought the work of Lauren DiCioccio was an appropriate feature.
I am particularly fond of her sewn news both because of its visual and aesthetic satisfaction and her concept behind the hand sewn news images.


She states:

As news-gathering departs from paper form and is conveyed instead through the television and internet, the newspaper becomes a nostalgic and old-fashioned object. I describe the beauty of the ritual experience of newspaper-reading by describing the paper as a tactile and fragile object in the language of craft.

The combination of her hand work with the actual newspaper as an object is really lovely and powerful.



Lauren's 35 mm slide project is also quite wonderful...the technique is great.
I really love how each slide ends up being a really substantial but fragile object.


Most moving about Lauren's work is her intent towards the objects she is inspired by:

My work investigates the physical/tangible beauty of commonplace mass-produced media-objects, most recently: the newspaper, magazines, office papers and writing pads, plastic bags, 35 mm slides. These media are becoming obsolete, replaced by the invisible efficiency of various technologies... What will happen when we no longer touch information? When newsprint does not rub off onto our fingertips? When we no longer write longhand?

She makes me really want to explore turning my needle to things outside of my own head.
To see more of her awesome work browse through her website.

1 comment:

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

I love the ideas behind the work. And the embroideries! Thank you for showing me so many wonderful embroidery artists!!