Monday, February 9, 2009

the love of language.



I figured I would take a break from fiber and just let us be inspired by words...I have no idea how I came across Lizzie Ridout's work but I love how intelligent the work is and how she plays with words, language, and the object of the book.



and her use of language in her statements and descriptions is just as inspiring and eloquent.

A few short thoughts about welcome mats: Doors are protection. They are bolted to some and open to others, to pass freely back and forth. Often welcome mats lie on the threshold of a home, in front of those bolted doors, teasing you of the possibilities offered by a space that you might never be permitted to enter. Occasionally, you are given consent to pass through. Then those welcome mats require a new function: to rid your shoes of the dirt picked up through the course of your journey, so you don’t deposit it elsewhere, leaving trails on shining linoleum or pristine carpet.



Her website is quite extensive so you could get lost in there for awhile and I myself had not had time to really sink my teeth into it.

1 comment:

Brittany | the Home Ground said...

Wow, I love her work. Her fellowship with the British Library brought about a really interesting piece of work. I love that it isn't bound, more a collection of artifacts.