Monday, March 31, 2008

settling in


I attempt to settle back in to normal life.
Things seem so out of wack?
I am a slave to routine so when my routine goes askew so do I.

But I keep thinking about the beautifully written interview in this months Elle, that I read on the plane,  with Michelle Williams.  It is a unique and wonderfully written interview.  The journalist, Holly Millea, had the difficult task of the interview being before the death of Heath Ledger and it going to press after his death.  She handles it with great grace.  But...
My real point is, that Michelle Williams quotes a poem by Galway Kinnell and I can't get it out of my head so ... I share it, in part,  with you. 

Little Sleep's-Head Sprouting Hair in the Moonlight

1

You scream, waking from a nightmare.

When I sleepwalk
into your room, and pick you up,
and hold you up in the moonlight, you cling to me
hard,
as if clinging could save us. I think
you think
I will never die, I think I exude
to you the permanence of smoke or stars,
even as
my broken arms heal themselves around you.

7

Back you go, into your crib.

The last blackbird lights up his gold wings: farewell.
Your eyes close inside your head,
in sleep. Already
in your dreams the hours begin to sing.

Little sleep's-head sprouting hair in the moonlight,
when I come back
we will go out together,
we will walk out together among
the ten thousand things,
each scratched too late with such knowledge, the wages
of dying is love.

To read the complete poem go here.

No comments: